Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rockin' this recession

***Disclaimer*** If financial chitchat offends you or goes onto your 'taboo' list, move on!

First of all, when you live on very little $$, a recession doesn't really affect you so much, especially when my income is from a recession proof business. But this week was a huge one in the life of the Mohrs. Like Mt. Kilimanjaro huge. Like Mt. Rushmore huge. Like Mt. RussMohr huge. (It never gets old.)

Within 24 hours we paid off the house(signed all the papers to finish the sale, that is), accidently paid off the car and the best one? We paid off Eliot's adoption.

I don't even know what this means.

It's nice to not have a mortgage but we still have rent. The rent is lower, of course, but it's still a chunk.

And yes, I accidently paid the car off. We still had a few payments left for 2009 but we were close. Then I got a call from a different biller saying I was 10 days past due on our December payment. That couldn't be right, I paid everything online before the holidays. Then I got the car statement showing I'd paid them several times in December. Oops. We only owed less than $20, so we went ahead and paid that this week. =)

And the adoption. It's done, financially speaking. There's only a few of you out there that really get what that is, how big that debt is/was. Don't hear me complaining, we knew what we were getting in to and we'd do it all over again, but oh my, I can't wait to not make that payment each month, not to have that ugliness attached to the favorite part of our world. We're done!! We decided Jan 8th might be a new holiday for us!

All of these point toward our new goal: Debt free by 2010. It's possible but will take some serious commitment. If we could just have more days like Thursday...

(He's a tad obsessed with himself. He's the only one more happy than me to see more than one Eliot)

The new "cheese".

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Congratulations! I am one of those people who know what a HUGE deal all of what you have done is...especially the adoption. I am gladly in over my head right now. :)
I also hadn't heard the Mt. Rushmohr joke before, and let me tell you, you are one clever lady.

Blessed Mommy said...

How AWESOME for you!!! YAY!!

Nikki....Gabi's Mama said...

Happy New year Mohr family! Love the new cheese. Congrats on all your good stuff. Hope Eliot's settled into his new bedroom!

Bill and Melodie said...

That's awesome! I can't wait until we pay off our adoptions.