Saturday, July 12, 2008

Not even close, people!

70+ ticks. From #1 found on Russ to #70-something found on me at home, we officially are calling it the "Tick Plague of 08". We might even make a graphic for it. We must have walked through a nest, or maybe it's because I applied Flirtatious Body Better (Arbonne lotion) before the hike, but for whatever reason, we spent the afternoon with a herd, school, flock, drove, pack, gaggle of ticks. I don't recommend hiking at this local state park anytime soon unless you're comfortable wearing scuba gear while walking up and down hills in the forest.

8 comments:

Heather said...

oh.my.godness!!! I can't even imagine what that looked like! How many did E have on him?!? Just gives me the chills and itchies thinking about it-like when you find out a kid in your class has lice!

Have a fun and safe trip next week!

Heather S. said...

I would have been freaking out. We went on a hike today and in 20 minutes I ended up with a couple dozen mosquito bites. We ended up heading back to the car because I wimped out - I am totally freaked out of West Nile, but I think Lime disease would be worse!!
Maybe the excess of bugs is due to the extra wet weather we have had.

The Bishops said...

Katie - I do trail runs and I found my first tick a few weeks ago. I stay out of the woods now until a good freeze. I will be sticking to the pavement! I have heard though you can buy dog flea and tick collars and wear them on your ankles and it helps! I think pavement is better though!

Ferris Family said...

Holy crap! You are my new hero. Living through Tick-fest 08.

Dan and Amanda said...

Oh my word, Katie that's NASTY!

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

I hate ticks!!! I don't envy you at all! Makes me want to stay indoors!

Felicia

Amanda said...

Katie...I think a lot of the problem is that AMAZING bodybetter that you put on!!! It is never good to put on "smell good" before being out for a hike!!! CRAZY GIRL!!!

Unknown said...

scuba gear? you are too funny!