Tuesday, July 27, 2010

mi CASA es su CASA

Have you heard of CASA? Just like lots of things in the fostering system, I hadn't heard of it until a few months ago.

Here's a little tidbit from their website:

CASA is the only volunteer organization that empowers everyday citizens as officers of the court. In an overburdened social welfare system, abused and neglected children often slip through the cracks among hundreds of current cases. CASA volunteers change that. Appointed by judges, CASA volunteers typically handle just one case at a time—and commit to staying on that case until the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. While others may come and go, CASA volunteers provide that one constant that children need in order to thrive.

How incredible is that? I love it. I love the team. I love that *ideally* when a child enters the system, the team springs into action. And this CASA person? Incredible. I am blown away by what people do as volunteers.

If you've followed my blog at all in the last couple years you know of Jodie from Fresh Art. Her father's company did something really amazing for a fundraiser for CASA lately and I didn't want to miss the chance to brag on people giving to that organization. Jodie blogged about it here and of course, included great pics. Check it out.

Also, if you know of anyone who might be a good fit for CASA, send them to that website. And then hug them. And buy them chocolate.

6 comments:

Jodie Allen said...

thanks for posting about this Katie! My dad's company worked so hard to make the playhouse great so it would get a great price at auction to benefit CASA! i really appreciate you helping me get the word out about CASA!

Kate said...

What an amazing thing! Both the organization and the donation! Something we'll have to look into in 5 years or so.

amanda said...

I worked with CASA before I moved and it was an incredible experience. The training they give you is so extensive and I was really impressed by how heartfelt the staff was in their desire to help kids. Usually within 24-48 hours of a kid entering the system, a CASA staff and volunteer have met them face to face and taken the time to make sure the child knows and understands the whole process. Yeah... they're just amazing. And CASA is all over the country... some of them are called Voices for Children, too. But it's the same thing. : ) I definitely hope to get involved with them in Denver.

Maggie said...

I love CASA. Even as a caseworker they were some of my favorite people.

Dan and Amanda said...

Recently been doing research on CASA! What an amazing organization...

Anonymous said...

Katie, thanks for linking Kuhn Construction, that is so kind of you.We love our playhouse and hope it brings big dollars at the auction Saturday night.
MJ Kuhn