Friday, March 18, 2011

Not paying attention...

Real quick, just a head's up since I know a lot of my readers are moms/nannies/aunts/whathaveyou. Made a last minute decision to see Rango with Eliot today on his last day of spring break and couldn't have been more disappointed.

The movie had "language" all through out including a scene where one character yells, "SIGN THE DAMN CONTRACT" and the other characters yells, "HELL NO!". Besides language it had a whole lotta violence. Not a fan.

My least favorite thing besides those elements were two particular scenes that I found irresponsible of the film-makers.

1. There's an owl mariachi band throughout the movie acting as narrators. In one scene they're playing their song hanging from nooses. Really? That's appropriate. They do realize that kids mimic what they see, right? Especially if it's presented as funny and entertaining? Just checking.

2. There's a scene when a little kid takes Rango's gun out of his holster as he's addressing the crowd and the child spends the rest of the scene pointing it at his own face and talking about it being loaded. And it's played off as being funny. REALLY?!

(not to mention Rango punches an old woman in the face, asks a Barbie if "those are real?" and walks across a busy highway with no natural consequence...)

I posted a quick status about it after the movie ended and got a couple recommendations to start using PLUGGED IN. Done and done. To take some blame, it was rated PG and I did no research beforehand on what it was even about. I'm still shocked at what the film makers deemed acceptable for their "kids" movie.

All that to say, skip it.

7 comments:

amy said...

thanks for the heads up!! this movie is DEFINITELY off our list.

Christy said...

Thanks for the heads up! We were pplanning on going.
On a separate note...after your post about Bean Club we started the same with Izzy. It has brought about such a major positive change! Thank you for sharing.

.Kate. said...

Wow thanks. I'm disappointed just hearing that. My 10 year old is dying to see it, so I'm glad for the info. He will definitely NOT be seeing it!

Soulfuldancer said...

got "Plugged In" saved to my favorites now.. thanks Katie!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for the advice, Katie. Fisher always notices the commercials and says he wants to see it. I know now I'll be steering him in another direction...

Anonymous said...

just another vote for plugged in...super helpful! but thanks for your rec. saves me the time of even checking plugged in.

Karen said...

Nicole pointed me in this direction after I complained about the movie. Ridiculous! Agree with all you said! Horrified at the noose scene and the female lizards "go to hell" line at the snake. I know that it's rated PG, but let's face it, it's an animated movie marketed towards kids- it should be appropriate for the audience it is geared towards. I, too, will do much more research next time.