Sunday, February 3, 2008

What is this world coming to?

While at the Arbonne conference a few weekends ago, a speaker named Tom Barrett (great speaker/author, btw) gave an interesting insight. He was going through the generations and mentioned what he called "the gamers". About this generation he said they have 1-200 friends that they'll never meet thanks to the internet. "Nerds!" I thought. and then caught myself wondering if the Wheelers had heard anything on their adoption case, and how the Moore's transition home is going, and if Laura has started her Arbonne business, etc.

The 'gotcha' factor here is that I've never met these people yet I keep up with their lives as if we're old friends. I laugh at their stories, I cry with their pain. I forget that I've never actually met them. When watching videos on their blogs, their voices sound wrong because I have a different one in my head for each of them. I'm one of them. I'm one of the people out there with friends I'll never meet. Is that weird to anyone else?

4 comments:

Heather said...

I think it's awesome how this world of the internet (and specifically blogging) can connect so many random people!

Amanda said...

I completely understand what you are saying. I have several of those friends also. Most of those "friends" are through your blogging friends.
I don't think you have to worry about not ever meeting Chris and Lindsey Wheeler...they want to so bad meet you and Russ. IT WILL HAPPEN!!!! And you will LOVE THEM EVEN MORE once you meet them in person!!!

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Excuse me, y'all are my friends....AND WE WILL MEET!!!! I get what you are saying though. I talk about y'all like we've known you forever. I love it though!!! By the way, nothing new on our case....yuck! Be praying for Xiomara....I have a sneaky feeling that her court date is going to be this week. I could be totally wrong. Just pray for her.

Love,
Lindsey

Sharon said...

I don't think it's weird, but I'm married to a techie and we view things differently in our house! ;) I adore my cyber friends as they have truly become an extension of my family and are a circle of friends that I cherish.