Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm closest to God's Heaven in my garden. With the Matador.

The answer to all my problems! Well, not all my problems I guess, just one (not to take away from the impact.)

The problem? My hobby. Earring shopping. It's Guatemala's fault (they have some mad skills down there!) And Ninfa's fault (we all know the best accessory to THE accessory is a cute pair of earrings.) So, yeah, I enjoy a cute pair-o-rings for my lobes.

That came out weird.

So, I've never really had a great solution as to where to house all my lobe candy. (ewww.) No jewelry box ever seemed adequate, mostly because like Moto Moto, " I like 'em big, I like 'em chunky."

So, whenever it comes to mind when I have friends over, I'll show them my pile and ask their advice. I usually hear "Well, I have this blah blah blah that works perfectly!" but their solution was never anything I could do. I don't have extra drawers or shelf/dresser space.

However, remember this weekend? Well, Julie happens to make jewelry so I know her "hobby" is worse than mine. She described an idea she's heard before using common household materials.

Ya'll, the clouds parted and heavenly hosts sang out the halleluah chorus.

Step 1: Find old frames. So, off hunting I went. I found two Goodwill treasures. This robust Matador had a cool frame and then a lovely cross-stitched little number reading "I'm closest to God's Heaven in my garden." (Sidenote: as I was purchasing this catch phrase, the lady behind me started oogling it and said, "ooh, that's beautiful." and then something to the affect of "I wish I would've thought of that." She was my third treasure at Goodwill)


Step 2: Buy screening. This vinyl role will last me til then end of time. It was super easy to work with.


Step 3: Replace Matador and God's Heaven with screen. Staple gun those suckers. Add some wiring for wall placement and SHA-BAMM! 16 year problem solved. (allowed to pierce my ears at age 16...) This isn't the best pic but you get it. Here's the cooler of the two:

(and a special thanks to my spouse for the supportive role with the staple gun.)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That looks so good Katie!!! I was wondering what kind of picture frames you ended up getting for this project...so fun!!!

TheOilHippie said...

Love the idea. I would need a lot of frames though...

Rebecca and Shannon said...

With a post this long, and an earring solution that good...you obviously only have one child.